Friday, May 13, 2011

For Once In My Life I'm Not Sure What I Think About This...

Many of you may have noticed my tendency to feel very strongly one way or another, generally unwaveringly. This particular bill however has me somewhat stumped. It again has to do with immigration but it is an extremely creative bill to say the least. While most bills against immigration or for cracking down on immigration are to strict, invasive and destructive for my personal views, I do see that there is a problem that needs to be dealt with. According to State Representative Lois Kolkhorst's new bill, lawmen that have an illegal immigrant in custody would be allowed to leave the immigrant at the doorstep of any State Senator or Representative's office doorstep.

Lois Kolkhorst says that she hopes this would get a message along the lines of "we don't know what to do with them. Do you?" to the State Senators and Representatives.

While I don't see this law as being very practical, I do have to commend Representative Kolkhorst for her ability to be creative and to think outside the box, qualities I feel are lacking in many State officials, perhaps especially those of the state of Texas.

My biggest issue with the law is that it would only push for strict and harsh punishment for illegal immigrants and for those who give them jobs. However, another issue is that it is, as I said, "impractical". In more ways than one. First of all, I can not possible imagine this law actually getting passed, I think that if nothing else then self interest will keep lawmakers from passing it. Other than that I have to imagine the actual outcome would be somewhat chaotic. What, in fact, would the offices do with those immigrants? While these kinds of shenanigans work well in movies, I do not see them working out in "real life". 

Perhaps it will take a Hollywood-esque hi-jink to get the ball moving though? Who's to say? Either way I would be very curious to see this bill make its way into a law.

No comments:

Post a Comment